Economic Strategic Planning
The City of Lathrop has created an Economic Planning Team to develop the strategic plan for growth and development. This team will meet twice a month until the plan is prepared and presented to the Council. Upon completion, the strategic plan will be available for download from this web page.
Over the last several years, the city council and Planning Commission have approved a large number of master planned communities, they include:
- The River Islands at Lathrop Project: This is an extraordinary plan for a master planned community that includes: 11,000 housing units including a variety of single family, multiple family, town houses and other housing types; nearly 4 million square feet of an employment center that could create 1400 new jobs over time; schools; a town center; fire stations; parks; hundreds of acres of lakes and environmental mitigation land. The project is west of I-5 and south of the San Joaquin River.
- The Mossdale Landing Project: which was sponsored by two master developers – Pacific Union Homes and TCN Properties. This is a mixed community located west of I-5, both north and south of Louise that will include nearly 1700 low density and medium density houses and a variety of commercial sites, schools and parks. There are a number of builders who are building on this site, including KB Homes, Meritage, Beck, Syncon, Lafferty, and Pacific Mt. Partners.
- Mossdale Landing East: This is another mixed-use master planned community with over 400 housing units including single-family homes and condos. There will be 27 acres of freeway commercial land. It is southwest of the I-5/Louise interchange. The applicants were Western Pacific Housing and Watt Commercial Properties, a large Santa Monica based shopping center developer. Pulte Homes and Shea Properties are currently grading the site. Watt Commercial Properties is actively looking for retailers for their portion of the site at the southwest corner of I-5 and Louise.
- Mossdale Landing South: This is another mixed-use planned community with 220 homes and future commercial sites. The developer is TCN Properties.
- Central Lathrop Specific Plan: This is a 1,500 acre project between I-5 and the San Joaquin River and from Louise Ave. on the south to the top end of the city limits on the north, north of DeLima Rd. The developer is the Roseville based Richland Planned Communities. The city’s approval was for 6800 houses, including low density, medium density and apartments, about 5 million square feet of commercial/retail/office space primarily along the immediate west side of I-5. Included also are community and neighborhood parks, a linear park along the river, the site for Lathrop High School, K-8 schools, a fire station, and a town center area.
All told, the city has approved approximately 20,000 new homes and 9 million square feet of commercial/office space.